Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Now See Here

those large sentiments, making a background and calculated sloppiness

>> Wednesday, September 3, 2008

How's that for a title?? I just could not decide what I wanted to call this :)
I have a September Birthday card for you today, just follow along and see what I did. I wanted to use the wonderful September Sentiment stamp - DRSdesigns has one for each month ! I also wanted to use the beautiful sunflower stamp for the background but I did not really want to cover it up with a sentiment layer.
First I made my background using the sunflower:

The sunflower has just about the right size so that the sentiment would fit over it. I stamped my main flower in the upper part of the card panel. Then I stamped it two more times onto a post-it-note making sure that I have part of the flower on top where the sticky part is. I can cover up the main flower with the mask and then stamp some more flowers:

tip1: when you cut out your mask, cut off the black outside line from the stamped image, this way you will not get a while halo around it when stamping over it!

tip2: how do you find the way to orient the sunflower mask? There are two petals on the flower that lie "on top" of the adjacent ones, I marked them in the right image, find those and it will be easy to line the mask up over the stamped one.


Now I quickly colored the background flowers with markers:

This is where the fun sloppiness begins. I just layered markers of different colors over the stamped images until I was happy with the way it looked. Dye ink markers behave like any other water-soluble pigment, you can layer them and even dilute them with water. I colored the background behind the flowers with ink from a brown dye ink pad. I did not want this to look uniform, just slop it on with a water brush. You can see I laid the sentiment stamp on top of the main flower to show that it fits well in there. Next I needed to prepare my background in a way that one would be able to read the sentiment. I used some acrylic paint to just paint the area in bold brush strokes where I wanted to stamp the sentiment:

My first layer used "wheat" acrylic paint (making memories), I dried it with the heat gun, then painted a shimmery white acrylic paint (luna lights) over that and again dried with the heat gun. You could paint your "image" exactly where you want to stamp, but I think its fun when it is just a layer of brush strokes over your background.
Stamp your sentiment, add some embellishments and finish your card:


Click on the image to see what it looks like when you tilt the card in the light :) Since we were just playing with ATCs on Monday, here is one that I made with the exact same method and paint colors:
Fun, isn't it? acrylic paints are in essence a water dilutable pigment that appear transparent in a thin layer and depending on how you hold the ATC you can still see the circles background behind it, or not. A bit interactive if you wish.
I hope you have enjoyed today's venture into painting and masking, see you again in two weeks!

6 comments:

Cathy Rulli said...

Very cool and creative! Great job!

Jessica G. said...

What a great idea for creating personalized DP AND using those wonderful sentiments! I definitely need to try this!

Anonymous said...

Very stunning results!! I like it! :) Must try it out!

Heather said...

Great job Etha! I had never seen this done like this before. I will definitely have to try it! Thanks for sharing!

Shirley said...

Etha, this tutorial is wonderful. I loved it and the two great cards you created with it! TFS

Jennifer E. said...

Great tutorial! Love how you used that sunflower stamp.

Blog Archive

StatCounter

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP