Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Stained Glass Butterfly's

>> Saturday, January 24, 2009

by Sue W.

Welcome!

Last week Jessica G. did a beautiful post with several gorgeous cards using a brayer. In the comments several people wrote that while they owned a brayer, it never got any ink on it (you know who you are!) My own experience with a brayer and chatting with stampers about brayers is that it is not an easy technique to learn. The key - like most things, is practice.

My question is - how many of you actually got out your brayers and got to work????? Now I've learned many things as a stamping demonstrator and that is most of you hate waste and will save even the tiniest scrap of paper :) With all of this in mind I set out to make a card this week that will show you that use can use the "bad" brayerings that you might make in your quest for the perfect, smooth, lineless, brayering we all strive for.


Let me encourage you that you can't mess this up! I have done this card as a demo at several stamp shows and I can honestly say that in watching hundreds of stampers I have never, ever seen a finished card that wasn't beautiful. Some were the pale-est of pale and some were as dark as could be, but they were all lovely!

A couple of quick rules for brayering.

1. After inking your brayer, always run it first on scrap paper to get rid of the bulk of the ink.

2. The harder you press the more likely you'll get lines.

3. Stopping the brayer while it's on your card and lifting it will also give you lines (keep it rolling as you lift it).

4. Practice, practice, practice!

Let me apologise now for the terrible color quality of these photos, I'll keep trying to get the color right!!!
1st thing I did was brayer from the bottom corner using my light pink ink. Lifting the brayer as I got to the center.


2nd - I used a darker pink ink and brayered from the bottom left corner. At this point I broke the first 3 of my brayering rules in the hopes of getting lines and guess what??? I did!


Next I used lavender ink and finished up, again trying to add lines.


Pretty sloppy in the brayering world, but just perfect for our Stained Glass Stamps. My next step was to dry the brayered ink with my heat gun, then I stamped P199 Stained Glass, using black pigment ink, aiming for the section with the best color. As soon as I lifted the stained glass stamp I immediately stamped my butterflies using the same black pigment ink. Then I embossed the black ink using clear embossing powder.



These are the stamps I used this week -


Now to finish my card. I stamped the background using the DRS single flower C1065 and raspberry ink, giving it a little turn each time I stamped it, then stamping a 2nd flower before reinking. I did the same on the strip of pink paper using lavender ink. After cutting out the stained glass all I had left to do was glue it all together!


Thanks for stopping by - and a special thanks to Stef H., & Kelly L aka Littlekel90, Vicki S., and Maria Matter for all your wonderful comments!

6 comments:

Heather said...

This turned out just beautiful! Thanks for all the brayering tips. I have to admit I haven't had my brayer out in probably over a year. I may have to give it a try again! Have a great weekend!

Jessica G. said...

Those brayering tips are just what I needed -- thanks so much! Gorgeous stained glass card and it would be the perfect way to practice all your great brayering advice!

Cathy Rulli said...

Awesome - such a pretty card!

Etha said...

Beautiful! what a great essay on brayers!! I think one should be led by result much more often and a bit less by intention. We often get the coolest things out of trying a technique, we just don't see it because it isn't what we went out to do, it is unexpected.
I was never bothered by brayer lines really, they can be a wonderful starting point to making scenes and backgrounds :)

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous Sue!! Love the way you brayered the background!! :)

Kelly L said...

Wow, love those colors, Sue! I saw this stamp on my newsletter and thought, now what would I do with that?! GREAT technique. I may have to put that stamp on my wishlist for sure now! :) Kelly

Blog Archive

StatCounter

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP