Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Now See Here

More than your average Plaid

>> Saturday, February 28, 2009

by Sue W.

Welcome!

As if life can't be difficult enough, I decided to challenge myself this week by creating a card for one of those "hard to make a card for people" which would be a teenage boy. The good news is that I now have a card just waiting for an occasion!

One of the fun aspects of this card is using our original plaid stamp for something other than a plaid. I call this the "starburst" background (you'll see why!)

These are the stamps I used in this project



I started my background by stamping the plaid stamp in one corner of my card using turquoise dye ink.

The only tricky part of doing this background is deciding how often to stamp the first ink color and making sure you leave enough room for the second. But I always do the 4 corners in the first ink color.



With a "normal" average size card I also stamp the center of the long side. Ultimately I'm shooting for the white triangles you can see along the edge.


I stamp my second ink color (ultramarine dye ink) covering the triangles. By this point the center is getting real ugly which is no problem because I'm going to cover it with my next layer.

This is the finished background after I cover all the white triangles. Now you can see why I've named it "starburst" background.

Once my background is finished, I dry brushed some spring green ink along the edges, then I layered it on neon lime green paper that I cut 1/2 inch short at the bottom and attached it to a bright blue card.

The skateboard "dude" was stamped on white cardstock using cyan pigment ink, then I immediately stamped the "jumpin" saying on top using ultramarine dye ink. I then embossed the entire image using clear embossing powder.
After dry brushing a little spring green ink around the edges, I layered it with a 2" square of lime green and attached it to the center of my background. Voila!

Thanks for stopping by - Have a great week!





7 comments:

Stef H said...

Gorgeous. You make it look soooo easy. Can you believe I bought that BG stamp when I first started stamping and never used it. I wound up giving it as a gift to a "serious" stamper. Who's sorry now?????

Good thing I belong to the Rubber Mania club and will more than likely "re-order" it.

How's that for a good laugh!

He's gonna love this card!

Jessica G. said...

Great guy card! The starburst plaid is perfect for this image, and so is the bright color combo!!

Cathy Rulli said...

Very "cool"!!! Great job!

Heather said...

This is fabulous! LOVE what you did for the background!!!

Jennifer E. said...

I love the look of the background. It makes for a very neat card. Thanks for the tutorial!

Paula Barin said...

Really cool! Love the technique. Thanks for the inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Oh how fun Sue!! Love those radical lines!! :) Great for teenagers!! TFS!

Blog Archive

StatCounter

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP