Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Simple Pleasures

>> Wednesday, June 24, 2009

by Deb, With a Stamp and a Song

It's often said and it's true, variety is the spice of life! I've found that to be true in card-making too. Sometimes I love making really intricate, over-the-top designs, and sometimes I yearn to get back to the basics. It is nice to find a balance between the two...a simple card with a little unexpected twist. It is fun to take an every-day thing and use it just a bit differently than you normally would.

My friend Vicki R. gave me a huge box of envelopes, the kind that are for a card the size of a folded sheet of full card stock. My card for today uses a pale pink one, sealed and then trimmed along the long end. I used a round tab punch to make a notch for a pull tab through only one layer.

For the front of the envelope I cut Basic Black and Regal Rose mats in graduated sizes slightly smaller than the envelope dimensions (cut duplicates for inside the pocket while you're at it, along with a layer of white!). I cut two pieces of white card stock large enough that they would overlap slightly with the seam just above the center. I stamped the bottom half diagonally with DRS' open plaid backgrounder (p631) and inked along the bottom and sides. The top half I punched along one long edge with a Martha Stewart scalloped edge punch. I stamped the coffee cups (K747) on the plaid (I didn't even color them) and then adhered all the layers together atop the envelope.

I stamped the cups again on white card stock, colored them with Copic markers, cut them out with paper snips and a craft blade, and then adhered them with dimensionals. I kept the embellishments simple, adding a trio of pearls in one corner, and a ribbon around the entire envelope tied into a bow embellished with a tiny heart hat pin.


The inside is simply layered with the sentiment (F754) stamped in the corner with a pull tab attached to the center. This wide-open white space is perfect for a longer message or for multiple signatures...I very often bring cards like this to group gatherings so we can all sign, and then one group member will hand-deliver it. For smaller groups, a standard sized envelope and pocket card made this way works just fine.

I love the pop of black against the soft colors, and the fresh simplicity of the layout. I hope you like it too.

11 comments:

Ryann said...

Love this Deb!

Cathy Rulli said...

What a cool idea! TFS

Jessica G. said...

Such a sweet card -- this would be perfect to give a friend 'just because'!!

Samantha said...

Terrific card! Love it!

Jennifer E. said...

Deb this card is adorable! I love the plaid! Great job!

Becky said...

This is so pretty, love the colors.

Debbie Seyer said...

Just beautiful! Great job!

Anonymous said...

Such a gorgeous creation!! Love your stick pin and details Deb!! ;)

Sue said...

Great Card! It's wonderful when everything comes together just perfectly!

Dawn said...

Just Lovely! what a pretty card!!!

Heather said...

This is beautiful! Great job!

Blog Archive

StatCounter

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP