Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Leaf Print Poinsettia

>> Friday, October 30, 2020

  by Julie Warner - The Write Stuff

Happy Friday!
I hope your week has gone well! We're skating into November this weekend so time to get those holiday cards in the works! I love making Christmas cards all year so it's not hard to get me in the holiday mood. Today my card is a little different. As I was taking the bird feeders out one morning, I noticed that some of the crape myrtle trees had leaves that were already bright red. So I pulled some off & was going to put them on paper & roll them thru my Big Shot. I did, but they didn't really work well. From past experience, some leaves work better than others. If want to see a comparison I did w/ different leaves & papers, HERE is that post. Since it didn't work w/ these crape myrtle leaves, I went another direction. I inked a large leaf by rubbing the ink pad directly over it & printed it onto paper. By printing, I mean after it was inked, I laid it on the paper & gently rubbed over the back w/ a paper towel. Rub too hard, & all the leaf vein detail is lost. To me it looked like a poinsettia leaf so I took a couple of sizes & printed a poinsettia w/ them.
The lighter ones are second generation printings & for the green leaves, I inked part of another leaf & used the red leaf as a mask. I added some gold gems to the center & some splatter w/ the splatter bg stamp. 

Here are the leaves as they looked when I took them off the tree. Don't they look like hearty poinsettia leaves? I'm pretty sure a real poinsettia leaf is too delicate to use, but these leaves are pretty sturdy.
Here's the inside:
Thanks so much for stopping by! Have a great weekend!


Supplies:
stamps: DRS Designs - DRS Designs - Beauty of the Season (new!)Splatter Bg  (inside: Deco Peace & Joy)
paper: Staples 110# white
ink:  Memento tuxedo black, Distress inks fired brick, barn door, shabby shutters
accessories: Rubbernecker stitched rectangles dies, Misti, crape myrtle leaves



6 comments:

Sue said...

What a beautiful and clever card Julie! Your giant, leaf printed poinsettia is just gorgeous and you finished it off wonderfully! Thanks as well for linking the old post - it was fun seeing what worked and how they looked on the different paper.

Shelia said...

Wow Julie, this poinsettia is gorgeous! It does look like a real poinsettia. You had the perfect leaves for this! Absolutely beautiful!

Robin Clendenning said...

Wow Julie I am so impressed with how beautiful your leaf printing came out!! That looks so much like a real poinsettia, great leaves you picked for it. What a gorgeous job you did. Love the bits of green leaves too and the gold jewels is the perfect touch for centers!!
I love the bg splatters too!

nwilliams6 said...

This is so creative and fun. I am going to have to try it! Love, love, love this card, Julie. The flower you made is awesome and works so well with the pretty sentiment. Hugz

Karin said...

This is such a creative stamping idea, and a fun one too! Love how GORGEOUS it turned out and it it pairs with the sentiment so perfectly!

Lisa said...

Wowza incredible technique Julie and gorgeous card with it too.

Blog Archive

StatCounter

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP