Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Now See Here

Retired Veteran

>> Friday, July 10, 2020

by Julie Warner -The Write Stuff
Happy Friday!
I hope your week has gone well! I guess it's really summer now. Temps have been really hot in the midwest & while not as hot here, the humidity has been pretty bad. That always makes it feel much worse than it is. Makes you feel like you're wearing a wet sweater in mid summer. 

For my card today, I had this picture of a retired vet & his dog in my head & that's the direction I went. Obviously, he & the dog were medically retired, but I read so many stories of this today, I thought it was appropriate. They were stamped & the Army service medallion was added above them. This medallion is a little different from the Army seal, both in images & colors. I pieced together the "retired" from a longer greeting & added it beneath the medallion. 

The background piece is one that's been hanging out for a very long time. It's a wax paper embossed resist technique. I can't remember how long ago I made it, but it was a very uninteresting brown color & I didn't really like it. When I pulled it out I thought,  "wonder what it would look like if I sponged some green inks on it?" Turns out I actually like it now. The green improved it at least 100%. I wanted a very narrow gold layer around the image panel, but didn't have any that color, so I uses one of the same Copics to color it to match.

Here's the inside & below it are the Copics I used.
Thanks so much for stopping by! Have a great weekend!



Supplies:
stamps: DRS Designs: Wheelchair BuddiesArmy SealHappiness Retirement  (inside: As You Retire)
paper: Staples 110# white, X-Press It
ink: Memento tuxedo black, Distress inks peeled paint, mowed lawn, shabby shutters (originally I think it was gathered twigs color on base)
accessories: Rubbernecker Rectangle Stitch dies, Copic Sketch Markers, Cuttlebug Textile embossing folder, iron






5 comments:

Shelia said...

Julie, this is fantastic! I like the retirement theme & your color combo is beautiful. That background turned out lovely, too!

nwilliams6 said...

Great coloring on this Julie. GREAT way to do the medal with the little retired sign too. Fabulously done and such great thinking. I LOVE that background too. Hugz

Sue said...

Incredible card Julie! What a great idea adding the retired under the Army seal! I LOVE your background!!! It may have started off a little meh, but it ended up wonderful!

Robin Clendenning said...

Great idea! I did have an idea about wounded warriors but I had already made all my cards! LOL! Maybe later!!
I love the Army seal with the wheelchair buddies!

Karin said...

The card design is outstanding! I love that you made it a card for a retired veteran and the background is so cool! Super!

Blog Archive

StatCounter

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP